Saturday, January 31, 2015

Recreating enlarger-based soft focus

The main technique I was trying to achieve here was one I used to get working in the darkroom. Stretching a piece of dark nylon across the enlarger lens cause the light falling through the shadow areas of the negative to spill over. I used (in CS5) threshold to create an image of the dark areas I wanted to spill and used that to create a mask that was then manipulated with the refine layers dialogue. I believe I experimented a little with blending options to get the effect, but the basic technique is isolating the dark areas with a mask and feathering it. The one thing that bugs me about this picture is the burned out white area in the upper left. I tried several things to fill it in, but ultimately it acts to keep the viewer focused on the central figure. Every other option created a more pleasing square corner, but lacked the centering power of the bright white sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment